What is the purpose of the JDS programme at B&GPS?
1. Help aspiring rowers develop their skills
2. Compliment the school programs and prepare athletes for the 2023 BSRA season
3. Create a pathway for junior athletes to compete in Club and State Regattas
4. Prepare senior athletes for State Pathways and Age Group trials as well as State and National Regattas.
Sessions will focus on sculling and sweep technique in small and big boats under the guidance of
experienced and qualified coaches who have coached National and State level crews and
BSRA Head of the River winning crews.
COMMENCING 1st and 2nd of October 2022 – Places are limited. Register Early!!!
The program is divided into two groups:
Grade 8 Development Squad 2022 to 2023
Our programme will start at 7:30 am on Sunday 2nd October 2022 and run through to March 2023. All rowers should be ready to row on the registration day. Caps, hats or visors, sunscreen and water bottles are a must.
We will be offering one program for Year 8 girls who have rowed in the 2022 season.This programme is targeted at girls who have completed one season of school rowing and are looking to improve their technique in readiness for the following BSRA Season. Participants are generally in year 8 going into year 9 and train on a Sunday morning.
Cost: $238.00 plus Rowing Queensland registration of $69.00
- We can only accept 10 students in this programme. Once we have 10 registrations then the button below will be closed.
- Registrations will be opened at 9:00 am on Monday 29th August.
- Registrations for this squad will close at 7:00 pm on Wednesday. 14th September, or as soon as we have 10 registrations.
- Due to the large amount of interest in this programme we have now received 10 registrations, and we are not able to register any more students.
In previous years we have offered a programme for Year 9 and 10 students. We will not be able to offer this squad due to a lack of coaches this summer. Unfortunately we are not able to offer students in Grade 9 and 10 who were anticipating enrolling in this squad a programme for the 22 to 23 season.
Youth Performance SQUAD 2022 to 2023.
Our programme will start at 8:00 am on Saturday 1st October. All rowers should be ready to row. Caps, hats or visors, sunscreen and water bottles are a must.
This squad focusses on girls who wish to be competitive on a National level and are aiming for State and National crew selection. It is an invitation only squad and will have selection criteria. We will be making offers directly to candidates who meet the criteria for this squad.
Crews in this squad will target a number of regattas including Qld and NSW State Championships and the Australian Championships as well as other potential regattas. This squad will also have a Camp in January. These squads will generally train three time a week (and also Saturday morning)
If you would like to be considered for this squad, and not been in a discussion with Nigel Stubbs, then please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your rowing background, best 2k ergo time, and times you have attained in a 1X race at a State Regatta.
$475.00 plus Rowing Queensland registration of $129.00*
* Returning members may only need to pay $42.00 for Rowing Queensland Registration
The Brisbane and GPS Rowing Club has successfully run a junior development program since 2001. The club provides an enjoyable environment and the support needed to maximise young club members’ potential. The program helps aspiring junior rowers develop their skills in the sport and aims to complement school rowing programs. By design, our program creates a clear pathway for junior athletes into the club system and elite-level rowing.
If you are interested in competing at Club State Championship, and the Australian National Rowing Championships in March, then we can help you get to these events, If you are interested in improving your skills and fitness, without a focus on competition but more on outdoor activities, and some fun, then we have a squad for you as well.
The program has produced nine Australian representatives in the preceding years, competing in sculling and sweep events at World Junior (U19), U23, and Senior A championships, and Olympics in 2016. 11 other rowers have represented Queensland.
How do I express an interest?
If you are interested in joining the B&GPS Girl’s Grade 8 Programme please complete the form by clicking on the Registration Button above for the Year 8 squad.
Are you looking to:
- Improve your technical rowing skills in both sweep and sculling?
- Be better prepared for sculling and ergo trials?
- Maintain your fitness over the off-season?
- A row in all classes of boats?
- Wish to challenge your fitness
If you answered yes to one or all of the above then you will definitely benefit from the program. What you put into the program is what you will get out of it. Some girls may wish to compete in the Under 17 and Under 19 events at the Australian Championships in Perth in March 2023 for which a special program will be organised.
Many graduates of the program in recent years have rowed in their schools’ first VIIIs, and have continued their rowing into the club successful young members’ squads.
What we offer:
We aim to provide:
- Up to a maximum of 4 water sessions per week for the Performance squad.
- Much of the training will be in small boats, singles and pairs.
- Provide a fun, inclusive, challenging and safe environment
- Cater to individual athlete skill level and experience.
- Complement any school-based rowing program as well as providing a program for athletes from non-rowing schools
- Provide opportunities for athletes to compete in a relevant and suitable club, state and interstate regattas/events
- Identify other activities and opportunities that will enhance a rower’s overall performance e.g. cross fit training, exercise physiologists, dieticians, sports psychologists, and talks by world champion rowers.