The plan for the 2017 to 2018 Season:
The Brisbane and GPS Rowing Club has successfully run a junior development program for the past eleven years. The club provides an enjoyable environment and the support needed to maximise young club members’ potential. The program helps aspiring junior rowers develop their skills in the sport and aims to complement school rowing programs. By design, our program creates a clear pathway for junior athletes into the club system and elite-level rowing.
Athletes in Year 8 through to Year 12 are invited to express an interest in our program. If you are interested in competing at Club State Championship, and the Australian National Rowing Championships in March, then we can help you get to these events, If you are interested in improving your skills and fitness, without a focus on competition but more on outdoor activities, and some fun, then we have a squad for you as well.
Boy’s Minimum Ergometers Scores
Beginner Entry Test Standards
We have 3 squads running simultaneously to cater for the different individual skill levels and goals including the less intense technical skill-focused training as well as being a stepping stone to high-performance training. The program has produced nine Australian representatives in the past seven years, competing in sculling and sweep events at World Junior (U19), U23, and Senior A championships, and Olympics in 2016. 11 other rowers who have represented Queensland.
How do I express an interest?
If you are interested in joining the B&GPS Boy’s Youth Development Programme please express your interest by emailing Peter Howard, our Head Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your email your rowing history, ergo score, height and an overview of your goals. Please note that the boy’s squad will be taking a break over winter. Once the GPS Association School Boy races have completed, and the National Rowing Championships in Sydney in March, the boys will be taking a well-earned break until later in the year. Watch this space for news of starting up again.
If you are interested in joining the B&GPS Girl’s Youth Development Programme please express your interest by emailing Joe Pattison at email@example.com. Please include in your email your rowing history, ergo score, height and an overview of your goals.
Will I benefit from the program?
Are you looking to:
- Improve your technical rowing skills in both sweep and sculling?
- Be better prepared for sculling and ergo trails?
- Maintain your fitness over the off-season?
- A row in all classes of boats?
- Wish to challenge your fitness
If you answered yes to one or all of the above then you will definitely benefit from the program. What you put into the program is what you will get out of it. Some girls and boys may wish to compete in the Under 17 (U17) events at the Australian Championships in Sydney in March 2018 for which a special program will be organised.
Many graduates of the program in recent years have rowed in their schools’ first VIIIs, and have continued their rowing into the club successful young members’ squads.
What we offer:
We aim to provide:
- Up to a maximum of 3 water sessions per week
- Provide a fun, inclusive, challenging and safe environment
- Cater to individual athlete skill level and experience.
- Complement any school-based rowing program as well as providing a program for athletes from non-rowing schools
- Provide opportunities for athletes to compete in relevant and suitable club, state and interstate regattas/events
- Identify other activities and opportunities that will enhance a rower’s overall performance e.g. cross fit training, exercise physiologists, dieticians, sports psychologists, and talks by world champion rowers
How much will it cost me?
- For athletes from non-rowing schools, membership to the club for 12 months, the will be $585.00 (including GST).
- For athletes who have involved in their school’s rowing program the membership to the club for 6 months, the cost will be $356.00 (including GST)
- Rowing Queensland registration fee of $46 is added to the relevant club fee at the time you register for the program.
- Gym sessions are additional.
Other personal costs include rowing zooties, club clothing and regatta seat fees.